10/05/2013

09/05/2013: Swim

So last night I went back to swimming as my first training session after the try a tri on Sunday.
I haven't been feeling 100% since the race and have picked up a cough/sniffles which, coupled with an exceptionally boozy bank holiday weekend and not getting enough sleep, has not been the best recipe for success in training!

Still, I went along with the intention of simply doing as much as I can but not pushing myself too far.

The set tonight was pretty standard albeit with a little twist:

1. Warm up - standard 10 min warm up of our choice
2. 8x50 sets, the pace increasing after each two
3. Pursuits: 3x5min sets
4. 7x100m sets, alternating between PB and swim

The pursuits was a bit of an interesting section which I hadn't done before. The idea is that everyone in your lane spreads out and simply you have to swim all out for 5 minutes, trying to catch the person in front of you while trying to avoid being caught by the person behind.

It is quite odd how the thought of someone trying to catch you spurs you on to swim faster, although by the end of the second 5 minute section my arms and legs had pretty much given up and I found myself sitting at the end of the lane waiting for people to go passed me!

Very enjoyable end to the session though and a good reminder that training should be fun!